Friday 14 January 2011

Of Towels and Owls

Remember in my last post, I told you about how Mr J and P had bought me a 1970s tea towel for a Xmas prezzie and had hidden it so well from me that he couldn't find it??  Well, dear readers, all is well again in the world.  He found it!  Here it is for your delectation:



It's a beauty isn't it?  I think I may like to turn into a cushion cover!  What is it about my desire to turn perfectly decent items into cushion covers (see my previous post on the swimming costume debacle here)!

The "owls" in my very unimaginative post title refers to this kit I bought for Little Miss J and P for Xmas:


Alice Melvin's cut out and sew owl and owlets.  Lookee here, cute huh?


Here is Little Miss J and P sewing up an owlet.  My mum was a great and patient sewer.  I'm a terrible and impatient sewer and I'm rather hoping that my mum's skills and patience has skipped a generation.


Little Miss J and P decided that she wanted to cuddle her owlet rather than have it as a glove puppet, so we stuffed it with small cut-up pieces of an old vest of hers and here's the finished product:


A close up:

Owlet is currently living in Little Miss J and P's pyjama pocket.

Stylish?  Moi?  Well, the lovely and talented Andrea from Fin and Gabs has passed on this "Stylish Blogger Award" to little old me:


How exciting!  I now have to bore you to death tell you 7 things about myself.  I promise not to burble on.

1.  I work in university administration.

2.  I have lived in London all my life, apart from 3 glorious years when I lived in Sheffield (Yorkshire, Northern England for those of you who are overseas).

3.  I studied Geography at University (in Sheffield).

4.  I love music and listen to music virtually all day!  We're lucky to be able to listen to the radio at work, Radio 6 Music is our preferred choice.

5.  My three favourite films ever are:  What Ever Happened to Baby Jane (I adore Bette Davies); Withnail and I (utterly hilarious portrayal of two out of work actors who leave their squalid flat in London for a holiday in the Lake District) and Grey Gardens, either the documentary or the film with Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange - both are equally fascinating, which is about the eccentric aunt and cousin of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis.

6.  I love food and I spend a great deal of my time thinking about it and browsing through recipe books.  Never been on a diet.

7.  Having said I love looking through recipe books, I almost never bother with baking recipes because I hate baking.  This is a sad and sorry photo indeed.


It is the birthday cake, Little Miss J and P baked for Grandpappy J and P some weeks ago now.  Light, moist and fluffy, it is not.  Rock hard and dry as a biscuit more like.  However, slathered in Nutella and covered with smarties, it was suprisingly edible.

I now have to pass on the award to 15 bloggers.  Well, I'd really like to pass it on to all those bloggers who read my blog.  I'd love to hear 7 things about you all.

Toodle pip. xx

28 comments:

  1. Your title reminds me of one of my Dad's favourite (and therefore awful) jokes - What's the most common owl in Britain? A Teet Owl - you have to say it out loud maybe? Groan!

    That towel was worth waiting for though - what a beauty! You could frame it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely bright tea towel! I'm always thinking what I could turn in to cushions, my hubby is like 'how many more cushions do we neeeeed?!'.

    Those owls are so sweet! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the owl - well done Miss J + P!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That tea towel is wonderful and cheery. And well done Mr J and P for finding it. I once 'safely stored' a christmas present and found it a year and a half later. That probably says a lot about the state of my cupboards. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the owl! He's great. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the tea towel and as Lucy says - well worth the wait!
    The owl your daughter made is really sweet and definately one to carry in a pocket.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I do love a vintage tea towel. What a fab buy.
    Smashing job on the owl, Miss J and P. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that book. I think my elder daughter would love it too. And I guess as they got better sewers, they could embellish them with buttons and whatnot.

    So, has Mr J and P redeemed himself in your eyes?! It is a very lovely tea-towel. I love that teet owl joke.

    Nearly good as your Kangaroot one - which I still tell people!!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh I love that teatowel. I hope its loveliness made up for the fact it was so late!

    The owls are ridiculously adorable. Well done Miss J&P for her sewing ability - it looks so neat and tidy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The owl is wonderful! The cake story I can so relate to LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Loo

    thanks for your comment - let me know your email address and I'll email you regarding the heart garland.
    Mine is sarah@theblueberrypatch.co.uk

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, thank goodness Mr J and P found the tea towel as it is indeed a stunner! I would have to frame the beauty.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ps. Miss J and P has done a marvellous job on the owl.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loving all your owls - there's just something about owls, isn't there?
    Congrats on your award.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Miss J and P looks very pleased with her owl, as well she might, he is fab!
    And so is the tea towel.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Little owl is really sweet, clever little thing!
    That T Towel is a great find, clever hubby.
    Kandi x

    ReplyDelete
  17. That tea towel is gorgeous! Mis J an P's owl looks lovely too, great sewing skills there! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I adore that tea towl infact No its a big fat I love it, wow that was well worth the wait. It would look great stretched over a piece of canvas as a piece of wall art. How lovely and colourful ;-))) And the Owl is sooo cute. Have a great weekend, Dee x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love, love, love, LOVE the owl!! I like Owls just incase you didn't pick that up ;)

    Cool tea towel, good to hear he found it

    And only 2 tea cakes! You have to eat at least 3 ;) LOL x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fab tea towel, lucky Mr.J and P found it. I can sympathise I have 'lost' a christmas present somewhere in the house! Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a good sewing job maybe a hidden talent.
    I always have one Christmas present lurking somewhere, this year it appeared on Boxing Day.
    As for your baking if in doubt a dollop of custard works wonders :)
    Cate x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the title!!
    Love the tea towel
    and Loooooove the owls!!!!
    Em xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a cute little owl!!! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh the owl is fab- what a goood job you both did :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. THE OWL LOOKS LOVELY! MY 10 YEAR OLD WOULD LOVE TO MAKE ONE TOO!
    BY THE WAY THERE`S 7 LOVELY GIVE-AWAYS GOING ON MY BLOG... AND I WOULD LOVE IF YOU WERE TO ENTER!
    MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE!

    DEBBIE MOSS

    ReplyDelete
  26. i love the owls and the tea towel it will look fab as a cushion! fliss xxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm totally with you on browsing through recipe books, by the way. My current thing is to make myself cook one new thing per week from a particular book. Nigella Bites is the one I'm working from at the moment. Well, I say 'working'....it's actually pure bliss!!! I heart Nigella!

    Sarahxxx

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a good idea listing 7 interesting facts about onceself. I love Withnail and I too. OOOH and I like the look of your chocolate cake!

    ReplyDelete