Monday 16 May 2011

One out of Three aint bad.

Last Saturday, I went to three jumble sales - an unheard of phenomenon around our parts. 

A sneaky preview of my spoils cosying up with my previous buys namely the F&M hamper (£6.99)
and cute basket (60p)

I was up at the crack of dawn as the first one started at 10 am and I had to make my own way there by tube because Mr J and P was using the car to deposit Little Miss J and P at her first social engagement of the day.  Damn children and their active social lives!

I arrived at the venue (an old people's home) half an hour early and they just let me in.  No queue, nothing!  Well, dear readers, there was barely anything on offer.  The clothes table, for instance, consisted of 4 baseball caps and a handful of neatly folded jumpers and that was your lot!  I was in and out in 30 seconds and on the phone to Mr J and P to whisk me away to the next jumble at 11 am.

Good old Mr J and P did a marvellous job getting us to the next venue before 11 even when I directed him to Hazelwood ROAD in Bushey Hill when the jumble was actually at Hazelwood LANE in Palmers Green.  Oops!  Luckily, they weren't too far away from each other.

Dear readers,  I've been jumbling for a fair few years, as you know, and this jumble sale had to be one of the biggest I've ever been too.  Soooo big, in fact, that it never felt unbearably busy even though there were crowds of people.  The school hall was massive and outside, in the playground, was the bric a brac stall, toys and games and furniture and big items.  Yowser!  Jumble Sale Heaven without a doubt.  They even had tables of vintage clothes.  Very savvy of them.  Mind you, by the time I got to those tables there was a preponderence of shrunken jumpers, many with indelible stains!

The third jumble sale, in the afternoon, was just down the road from where the first one had been.  Lordy, it wasn't good.  The pricing policy was odd to say the least.  Some old codger was very miffed when told by one of the volunteers that a dress he wanted to buy for his two year old grand-daughter was £3!  At a jumble sale!  After causing a fuss (with me egging him on) a 3 items for £1 policy was put in place, which was more like it although they insisted that a pair of pyjamas I'd picked out for Little Miss J and P was 2 items, even though you wouldn't want to buy one without the other, would you?

Well, you've been very patient, dear readers, so I'll stop my wittering tout de suite and show you my spoils.
Let the good times roll........

When I was little I always wanted a set of Russian dolls.  Yay, at last, all the way from the USSR:





Only the other week I was drooling rather disgustingly over Lynda at Hooking with LaaLaa's most gorgeous crocheted pot holders here.  Huzzah, I've found my very own:


Here they are on display in the kitchen:


Another close-up:


Oh dear, I think another obsession may be coming on: tins:

A "silver rose" tin
   Perfect for my collection of buttons.  And talking of buttons:


 
A Rowntree Mackintosh tin which says on it "Buttons by kind permission of "The Button Queen", London. Not sure what this is about but I do know that "The Button Queen" is a shop in Marylebone, London which sells nothing but BUTTONS. Blimey, the very thought of it is making me perspire with excitement.

A highly useful (er hem) blow-up plastic cushion:


A cutesy bunny tablecloth:



This has to be one of the star buys:  a fabulous piece of Australiana.  Get a load of this tablecloth:






This towel (in perfect nick) has made me come over all nautical:



Dreamy isn't it?


In our bathroom:


Well ,dear readers, that's all for now.  I'll be stringing out my buys over two posts because there's nothing like ramping up the suspense factor, is there?

Before I go, "three" is most certainly my lucky number because I've won THREE giveaways recently!

Thank you Justine @ Emmabearforever

Thank you Claire @beautifulthingsbyclairehttp://www.beautifulthingsbyclaire.blogspot.com/


Thank you Susan @ teadiary
I'm a lucky duckie aren't I?  Well here's wishing you all good luck for your bargain hunting this week, and if you believe in lucky charms, take note:  "Depend on the rabbit's foot if you will, but remember it didn't work for the rabbit." (quote from RE Shay whoever he may be).


Linking with:





55 comments:

  1. Lucky you, what lovely finds, can't wait for Part 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh Loo, your persistence paid off - even with the prohibitive price of a travel card these days. Very groovy things indeed - I especially love your nautical towel in the bathroom, and am sure Kylie will be along soon to marvel at your tablecloth (or say she has its twin).

    Congrats on all your wins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic finds!! The tablecloths are great :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooooooh what amazing finds! Love them all esp the tins! We'll done on egging on the price battle - £3 is crazy price for a jumble sale, I'd even think thats too much at a bootie (my stingy streak!) Congrats on the wins too, 3 is def a lucky number for you :o) Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crikey,what a pile of wonderfulness! I'm gagging for the potholders!!!And the tins!!!
    AND the Aussie tablecloth!!!
    EEEK!
    X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flippin' 'eck! When they gave out the lucky genes, you were right at the front of the queue! I adore the bunny tablecloth and the nautical towel (would make a great beach bag, methinks). When my husband wakes up, I'm telling him I'm leaving him and moving back to my birthplace (Winchmore Hill) for its proximity to jumble sales...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my what wonderful things you found and 3 sales? Serioulsy I have to constantly haunt the opshops to find anything wish we had jumble sales galore here

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow i love that bunny tablecloth, we used to have a bedtime stories book with those illustrations in! and the nautical towel is fab! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. FAB finds - I love the bunny cloth and the towel. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the Australian tablecloth, that would make a brilliant skirt and the hand towel is gorgeous, too.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. You can never have too many tins, I say. Never ever ever. Always room for one more, somewhere!!

    I LOOOOOVE your juumble sale stories. Love 'em!!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  12. The towel is very Famous Five, just love it!
    Isn't it disappointing when a jumble is as bad as that first one, thanks goodness the others prove more fruitful.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fab finds.
    I have always wanted russian dolls too.
    I love the towel
    X

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great finds! Your post shows just how much jumbles can vary, although they're not usually that great here in Bristol x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do marvel at that beautiful table cloth Loo, Lakota's right...but sadly I don't have its twin (sniff sniff)
    I love the sail boat towel, the bunny table cloth, those lovely pot holders...to cut this short, I love it all! Great jumbling despite the slow start x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your finds are absolutely great. I used to help out with our St John Ambulance jumble when I lived down in Penzance and it was a humdinger (even though I say so myself!), but here in the very west of Wales we don't seem to have them at all, and I miss finding all those great finds. Well done. I love the Russian dolls too. Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  17. You did well with the RussianDolls, I have the three set exactly like that set, they are circa 1962! Love the tablecloth and towel
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay!!! Some great finds there, Loo. Those potholders are gorgeous, very retro styling and I love that sailing boat towel, such a brillliant find. And as for winning all those giveaways all I can say that it seems that Lady luck has decided to move in with you!
    X

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, brill buys, well done! I am lovin the tins especially the queen button one :) can't wait to see what else you bought. Well done the wins, so jelous!

    Bee happy x
    Have a delicious day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome finds and sounds like a great day of shopping. Love to read this post I can feel your excitement!
    My favorite of all your finds is the Australiana tablecloth; love the animals and the flowers on it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the tone of your post. I love the tablecloths and towel. Have we a Magpie Monday button theme going on this week?! I always love tins and boxes. My fave though is your Russian Doll set. My finds are at http://celebratingmums.wordpress.com, well some of them anyway

    ReplyDelete
  22. When I was little I played with my Granny's set of Russian dolls strangely I reviewd some much more modern Russian Doll inspired lip balms today just before my Magpie Monday post.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh I'm yearning for a jumblie!

    You have some top drawer bits there - how funny we're both done buttons and button tins this week.

    I adore your boaty towel and the dolls.

    Thanks for linking up x

    ReplyDelete
  24. great finds the tins are fab thats one thing im always on the lookout for you can never have enough tins lol

    ReplyDelete
  25. My goodness, gracious me! Such great finds! I don't know how you manage it.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Cor you lucky thing - what a jumble sale that was !
    Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really like the tins, I have tin obsession!Loved hearing about the jumble sales x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Those pot holders are gorgeous and I am in love with the Australian tablecloth. Glad you liked your win x

    ReplyDelete
  29. some great bits and bobs there. You are inded a committed thrifter going to three jumble sales in one day.

    ReplyDelete
  30. beautiful finds, that bunny table cloth is gorgeous. I have been looking for a lovely Russian doll like that too, for my daughters room :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow - with all that luck I don't suppose you'll share with us next weekends lottery numbers?? ;)

    Love the russian dolls - I have a similar set in my collection :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh my word you did so well! Ah the good old jumble sale haven't been to one since I was a child with my Mum, she used to help set up the tables in the local church hall and I would wander around looking at everything before they let everyone in. I can still remember vividly the crowd gathering outside and the thrill when the doors opened and everyone came rushing in...it was wonderful.

    Love your finds, especially the Russian dolls and the crochet pot holders.

    You'll have missielizze coveting that button tin, I'm sure she'd love it with her new found love of buttons ;)) x

    ReplyDelete
  33. I also wanted some Russian Dolls too - was your lucky day.

    ReplyDelete
  34. wow great finds love the tablecloths and the blow up retro cushion is cute ;-))And those tins are lovely to, you just have to love a vintage tin ;-)) dee x

    ReplyDelete
  35. Flippin' heck, what an amazing haul! Well done you! x

    ReplyDelete
  36. woot!! great finds, i have to say im perspire, drooling and excited all at once just looking at your finds! love the bunny tablecloth, the russian dolls are so cutee, all of them are just mouth watering (not that i can eat anyway but you know what i mean) the tins, the crochet, the hamper and basket even those lovely australiana tablecloths are darlings!! so envious and im glad you found some treasures after a a few disappointing jumble sales which i've never been but love to when i get a chance! xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
  37. OMG...I'm soooo jealous! What fantastic finds!

    ReplyDelete
  38. ooooh! Loving your finds! Especially, the Russian Dolls, the pot holders (would look great in my kitchen!) and the Bunny Table Cloth!!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. A button shop??! That excites me nearly as much as the Sylvanian Families shop which is the absolute top place on my list should I ever be near Highbury.

    ReplyDelete
  40. How nice to meet you and see all your fantastic finds - thanks for coming over and introducing yourself! Now, if you have a thing about buttons and tins, we have much in common! If you have time, here are some of my collections:

    http://trocbroc.blogspot.com/2011/01/vintage-tins-but-whats-inside.html

    http://trocbroc.blogspot.com/2010/08/enforced-button-sorting.html

    ReplyDelete
  41. Argh - brilliant bargains! Well done on giving that miserly old stallholder what for too!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi, I just had to comment on your blog...I never knew rummage sales, and such was know by any other name...I am Thrilled to find out that they are also called "Jumble Sales"...I just love that!
    You have a good eye for fun finds...I adore the bunny tablecloth and tins...Lovely!
    Smiles,
    Christine
    tincancottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. ooooh I came across your blog via Lakota's and I am SO green over you finding 3 jumble sales! We never have jumble sales around here and I miss them SO much.
    Am loving your Russian dolls - what a gorgeous find :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Great finds! I love your pot holders, and both your tins are fabulous!

    Looking forward to part deux :o)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hello, thanks for popping by, love your gorgeous finds! Especially the tins, I'm a sucker for old tins!
    Havea lovely weekend!
    Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  46. I say a lucky duck indeed!!! Your blog is a feast for the eyes. I have recently had to start a new blog due to family makes me cry thinking about it I use to be Bord and Butik. Thanks so much for putting a big smile on my face, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hi Loo, thank you for your visit to my blog. Wow what a bunch of nice things you had bought/won! Really all very sweet!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  48. Blimey O'Riley, those are some wonderful finds. My particular favourites are the crochet pot holders, the bunny tablecloth and that amazing towel - what I wouldn't give to have found that towel!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Wow, what great finds. I have the exact russian dolls.

    Well done on your three wins. 'Three' is obviously your lucky number.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Love the term, "jumble sales." You found lovely items. Can't wait to see the rest and congrats on the give-aways!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Wow Loo! I have had to scroll along way down to get to your comments, and I can see why! Because your jumble sale finds are amazing, if I had to pick a favourite, it has to be the crochet Rose holders, they are just stunning! I have to get some now! Bx

    ReplyDelete
  52. 3 jumble sales?! Blimey, we never have them her, well that's not totally true, but they are rare. There was one last saturday and I was so annoyed as I couldn't go. Typical! x

    ReplyDelete
  53. Oh you lucky lady you....I don't think I've found a single jumble sale since I moved up here. :( Even car boot sales are a rare find.

    ReplyDelete
  54. I love those crochet pot holders and they look so at home on your kitchen door! Meant to be obviously!

    I used to work in Marylebone and used to walk past the Button Queen shop regularly. I used to think it looked so interesting and quirky and I love buttons!

    Fab finds and well done on your wins too.

    Kathryn x

    ReplyDelete
  55. ooooh 3 jumble sales,what amazing goodies you found.especially love the rose crochet pot holders and bunny tea towel.

    ReplyDelete