Friday 15 April 2011

You Win Some, You Lose Some

Well, peeps, I know that the suspense has been killing you all.  The voting has now closed for which character should be my new profile pic (see previous post if you haven't a clue what I'm burbling on about) and the votes have been counted and verified...... and the winner, by a mile, is:

Noddy!


One of you cheeky bloggers (you know who you are) said that Noddy "has something of you in his face".  Just remember, peeps, that I described the Noddster as being rather "demented" and "grubby" looking.  Er, thanks....

Some of you expressed regret to see go the rather fine pic Little Miss J and P did of me.  Not to worry.  I'll still have that on my blog as My Picture.  Plus she's planning to do another one of me which will then, of course, be my new profile pic, but in the meantime Noddy's cheeky little face will be popping up everytime I make a comment on your blog.  Hoorah!

In other news... remember "Sockgate" as previously reported by moi here?  Well, I popped into the offending charity shop this week and the socks have gone!  Surely they've not been snapped up by hoards of people champing at the bit to buy £5 socks?   I wanted to ask the manager what had happened to them but she was busy talking to an old lady who was asking her why they were selling "one shoe" (yes, you read that correctly, "one shoe").  The manager said that people like to buy just the "one shoe" as a decoration and that she, herself, had one on her dressing table.  To be fair, the "shoe" in question was a very bejewelled sandal with the make "Butler and Wilson" on them.  I thought Butler and Wilson made very blingy jewellery but what do I know?   I tried to muscle in to see how much they were selling the one sandal for but it was in one of those locked glass cabinets (I kid you not) and the manager and the old lady, who was in a wheelchair, were in the way.   I then noticed a number of pairs of these sandals for sale at a mere £50.   Gulp!  Original price was £158.  I expect that's a bargain in some people's world.  (Oddly, I tried googling "Butler and Wilson sandals" just to show you what they looked like, but couldn't find any reference to them).

OK, enough of this nonsense.  Let's talk about serious stuff like my collection of wooden handled kitchen utensils which is coming on a treat.  Not only have I got a potato peeler, crinkle chip cutter, bread knife (donated by the lovely Elizabeth from MakingGoodUse) and a carving fork, but get a load of the new additions.

A cork screw (10p from the boot sale):


An egg whisk (50p from the boot sale):


Mr J and P has just spotted this pic on the computer screen and demanded to know what "that rusty old thing is doing on our bed".  Cheek!

Darling Emma from Sylvie's Garden sent me this piccy (on the left) which shows a wonderful way to display old wooden utensils. 

Excellent idea, no?

At the same boot sale, I was drawn to this salt and pepper set  for 50p (which I thought was reasonably good value until my friend brandished a Poole pottery coffee pot and creamer bought for 50p for the pair from the same stall holder - grrrrrr). 

The Gaydon melanine salt and pepper set is late 50s, early 60s.

Before I go, have a  look at my lovely red roses:



No, it wasn't a gift from from an admirer.  I found them, in their cellophane wrapping, in a SKIP!  They must have just recently been thrown in as they were absolutely fine for me to appropriate and take home.  Wonder what the story behind that was!

31 comments:

  1. Somwhow I missed the vote!
    Like the idea of the framed utensils. That's why I like blogging. Poeple sharing stuff. Plus if I mentioned things like that in the 'real world' others would think I was barking, in blog land it's completely normal and encouraged.
    Pretty roses,hope there wasn't a sad story behind them.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for Noddy!! Will look forward to seeing the cheeky little face on your comments Loo. I keep looking out for wooden handled bits for you but there is obviously a collector where I live or a complete shortage as never see them. Loving the salt and pepper and well done on the skip find - would also like to know the story behind them, maybe if you dug a bit deeper you may have found a ring to go with them lol. Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so pleased Noddy won! I am now picturing an equally cheeky face diving into the skip for those roses! I would love to know how they came to be in there - peace offering that didn't hit the mark?
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aah yes, the one shoe on the dressing table trend. It's all the rage here in Croydon you know. I looked around this morning and realised I was way ahead of the curve, with a 'Peppa Pig' small boy sandal on the dining table.

    Excellent additions to the utensil collection - and yes the box frame does look lovely. You could frame the corkscrew in a similar way, although it would beg for a sticker saying 'in case of emergency, break glass'!

    I'm really glad you said you found the flowers in a skip, and didn't do what I did as a child. I skipped in merrily brandishing a bouquet that "was just lying by the side of the road, next to a lamp-post!". Turns out I'd swiped a tribute left at the scene of an accident. Oops.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the roses and all of your goodies for that matter! the noddster is kinda cool however i do love the pic that little miss j and p has done. enjoy your weekend loo.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love mooching round charity shops but am getting mighty fed up by some of the extoroinate price tags on some things and the "new" range of goods that some of them stock!! There are actually a few that I now don't bother going in as they have got so pricey. One of them sells "labels" designer items at a higher price and I had to point out to them that atmosphere was actually primark and not a designer label and that the skirt price at £12.99 had actually only cost £7 new (this I know cos I bought one)!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Loo
    I have actually been wondering about your new profile pic...I still think Owlie is way cuter than Noddy, I never really liked him when I was little, something about that annoying bell on the end of his hat...never mind. I'm glad you've decided to keep your daughter's drawing because I think it's really sweet.
    I love all of your wooden handled utensils and the salt and pepper shakers and as for those roses! I can't believe someone would chuck them...cheating boyfriend attempting to apologise you reckon???

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL i wonder about the story of those red roses to, wow you mind could write a wonderful story in fact what a good idea you could do a post and ask everybody to add a comment on the next bit of the story ;-)) Like those salt and pepper pots and what a great idea with the boxed utensils. I must have missed you noddy post some where but you have to love him. Have a lovely weekend, dee x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd take Noddy to your nearest SpaceNK for a few rejuvinating products! But his eyelashes are to die for. What a great post - so much here - I love the contrast of worn wooden-handled utensils in pristine white display, and those roses... did the ricipient bin them? Did the giver chicken out? Was he too late, and the object of his affection had already departed for a life in the Argentine with a hunky polo player? I do, actually, really want to know :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I missed all the excitement of Sockgate! Booo :( That charity shop sounds like a weird and wonderful place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay for Noddy x :) His so cheeky looking! Ooooo errr wonder what the story was behind those flowers. Perhaps you should do a "SKIP WATCH" x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha. Imagine selling one shoe?! The crazy prices in thrift shops are... crazy!!
    I like the idea of displaying old kitchen utensils, and your whisk is lovely.
    Look forward to seeing your smiley face. Your friend big ears. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you chose Noddy - my favoutite.
    Lovely roses - take all the leaves off and they will last quite a long time. Rose leaves are like parasites its the leaves that drink the all the water and the rose heads droop and die.
    I wonder what did happen to all of the socks......?
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay Noddy! Love your skip roses I also wonder about things like that, what happened that they ended up on a skip?
    Kandi x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Make way for Noddy! How funny about the roses in the skip - wonder what that was about!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  16. In a skip? In a skip? They must have been given to say sorry for some hideous misdemeanour and discarded my the receiver in a fit of rage. That's my take!!!

    One shoe? One shoe? (Do you sense the theme of this outraged comment?!!) What is the charity shop world coming to. Hmmmmm.

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad Noddy was chosen, he's a great profile pic!The roses look lovely and I really like the idea of hanging up the old kitchen utensils. I wonder why the roses were thrown away?! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well done Noddy! love your bargin buys, so cute, I can just see them in my kitchen :)

    Bee happy x
    Have a delicious day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh dear, was it me?! Haha, I meant in a good way - he's such a cheeky looking chappy and his eyes are alight with enthusiasm for life :)

    Not sure I like the sound of that charity shop, too much new stuff and overpricing for me! Your wooden handles utensil collection is coming on a treat though, I always look out for them at flea markets etc but there's none to be found round here. Love the colour of the corkscrew.

    Sounds like some drama behind the roses :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aww..what about Yogi?! I don't think I'd buy one shoe - that's weird! However, I do love the idea of framing those utensils and I lust after your Gaydon set - vintage melamine rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Roses in a skip! some one obviously very unhappy with receiving them. The framed utensil's are an excellent idea. I remember my mother having some of those.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am loving the roses, I think the roses deserve a story behind them though. I think the story behind them is Mr x has been a naughty boy and decided to buy Miss x a bunch of roses, he knocked on the door grovelling with his roses, she came to the door and saw it was Mr x, she couldn't bare to look at him let alone accept his pathetic grovelling and slammed the door in his face leaving Mr x to take his roses away with him, it was too much for him to look at the roses anymore and so he threw them in the skip as he was walking past. Then along came Mrs J&P who picked up the roses and gave them the love a care they deserved. (I have no idea where that came from, good job it is Friday hey) have a great weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. i still love noddy with her demented face and all hahahaha, Im almost toppled over to read that the charity shop you went to sell socks for £5 and one shoe? and more shocks that they put it in the locked glass cabinet? another shock that the price of the butler and wilson pairs of sandals for £50?!!!! WTF? excuse my language, i am totally in shock! thank goodness your findings are bringing me back normal state, love the cork screw and the egg whisk, i laughed reading what Mr J & P said! haha, im in love with the cute blue pepper salt for 50p, and the roses are so gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh I would love to know if there was a story behind the ditched flowers hehe. Score for you though. Great new additions to the utensil collection. x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Have just found your blog!!

    Loving your boot sale finds and don't you just wish those roses could talk? Bet they'd have a tale to tell!! ;0)

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Noddy has a wonderful smile, he's stylish with his red, blue and yellow outfit and appear to have nice hair! So Yeah for Noddy!
    I remember when my grandma used an egg whisk to prepared us breakfast. You got a nice collection of goodies.
    Have a lovely weekend,

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello Lovely Loo, yours posts always make me smile.
    I can't believe that the charity shop were selling one shoe! How strange.
    I'm loving your collection of wooden handled utensils and can't wait to see what you do them.
    I hope you have a fabby weekend.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  28. I see Noddy is famous,I see him at all boot sales. he is cute.
    those roses are beutiful,why would they throw them out?
    lovely wooden handles amor.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the wooden handled items and the salt and pepper pots, great finds! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Loo
    You deserve a medal for reading my blog from start to finish! You must be keen to make that blanket! Next time just ask and I'll forward anything you're interested in...much less tedious for you.
    Some posts are better than others...I was not in the mood to blog today and I probably shouldn't have because EVEN my very own husband has told me it was boring! Oh well...what's a girl to do, but keep on trying x

    ReplyDelete