Monday 24 May 2010

Charity shopping and camping - a fine combo

Last weekend was officially the start of the camping season for the J and P household. Camped on a lovely peaceful site in the heart of beautiful Kent countryside close to Faversham and Sittingbourne. Glorious weather, excellent company, delicious food and copious amounts of wine made for a very successful weekend.

Saturday, bypassed the cute and fashionable Whitstable (will camp there in June with other friends) and spent much of the day in Herne Bay otherwise known, apparently, as Hernia Bay on account of the droves of elderly folk who retire there! As promised, in my previous post, dragged family and friends around the charity shops. Well, this is what I got:



Beautiful bedding: everyone's favourite - a candy striped double sheet (flannelette - v snuggly and soft)for £1.30, a pretty yellow and white striped cotton double sheet for £2.50, and a peach woollen blanket with satin trimming for £1.99 (v handy for chilly nights in the old tent). Now what else......



A beautiful orange rayon scarf for 50p. Sorry, photo is not brilliant - must get to grips with this photography lark.

A brooch with wooden flowers and beads (£2):



A rather fine looking flask (£2.50):



I have to say that Mr J and P and myself are a little obsessed with flasks. We are a family of 3 and we now own a total of 8 flasks plus 2 insulated mugs. Is this a cause for concern or perfectly normal behaviour????

The piece de resistance this week has to be this glorious apron for 75p.



I thought, at first, it was a home-made creation but it's good old Marks and Spencer. I love it!

I really do enjoy seeing what other people buy on their thrifting jaunts. If you do too, take a look at Her Library Adventures and play along.

Another excellent site is Thrifty Treasure . Check out her fantastic 100th Post Giveaway. Enjoy!

11 comments:

  1. Nice to meet you! :) Love your blog! Very fond of yor newest flask find. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello thanks for visiting and leaving a comment I love all your lovely vintage finds and you have put me in mood for digging out our old frame tent if the weather gets nice again its cold again up here

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the scarf! The apron is great too. And at that price who could resist?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi There, thank you for your lovely comment, your blog is lovely too. With reguards to the crocheted bag you liked on my blog, did you mean the would be bag which is now the stereo cover or the grocery bag from a previous post? Let me know which and if you want the pattern I will give you it, though if it is for the stereo cover I will have to look for it, as I just dotted it down as I made it up. :) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm addicted to old thermos flasks, too - and picnic baskets!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HIya, here is the link to the pattern for the bag that you wanted, it really is very easy to do. I hope the link works. :)

    http://www.coatsandclark.com/NR/rdonlyres/A5426861-C099-4D70-9CEF-3122FE726688/103972/WR1796.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you copy and paste the link into your tool bar, the web page for the pattern will come up, enjoy it. :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great finds! I especially love the flask! Thank you so much for mentioning my giveaway, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! Thanks for following and for your lovely comment about my blog.I see you are a charity shop(and car boot?) fanatic like me! I have been looking for that candy stripe bedding for ages,but never seem to be able to find any.I'm supposed to be getting ready to go away for the weekend,not looking at lovely blogs,so I will be back to take a closer look at yours when I have more time.

    Have a lovely weekend.

    Bellaboo :0) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just stumbled across your blog, another lover of cs shops, I think my daughter and I are addicts but we don't really want a cure, we have so much fun, I have recently posted my latest finds pop over and have a look.
    Nice to meet you
    Cate x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there,
    Thanks for stopping by my place and leaving your sweet comment. I too have an incurable addiction to charity shops and antiquey type places. I love all your bargains, it's so satisfying when your grab a few treasures to add to the stash:))

    ReplyDelete